What is a proper noun?
Today we will learn what is a proper noun in English grammar. A proper noun is a special name given to a common noun.
1). People (man, woman, boy, girl) are common nouns but when we give a specific name to a person then it is called a proper noun. e.g.: Rohan, Rahul, Nikki, etc.
2). Animal (dog, cat, lion, tiger, cow) are common nouns but when people give a special name to an animal then it is called a proper noun. e.g.: Tommy, Bruno, Tuffy,
3). Similarly, all places (country, city, street, school, building, hotel, park) are also common nouns but when they are given a special name then that name is called a proper noun. e.g.: India, Delhi, London, Taj Hotel, Red Fort, City Park, Disneyland, Fountain Chowk, etc.
The first letter of a proper noun is always capital. e.g.- Rohan, Babita, India, America, Tokyo, Tommy, April, May, Sunday, Monday, Audi, BMW, Google, Yahoo, Burger King, etc.
Proper noun examples
- David bent down to tie his shoelace.
- I hear you are moving to Toronto.
- Tom and Bob are fond of each other.
- Nikki is wearing a beautiful dress.
- Dr. Brown is the best doctor ever.
- Has Mrs. Khurana had her meals?
- She works for the State Bank of India.
- I have a dog named Bruno.
- Did he go to Goa last year?
- My favorite movie is Spider-Man.
- My younger sister’s nickname is Missy.
- Who is the Prime Minister of Canada?
- We will be staying at Hotel Taj.
- What does the Statue of Liberty symbolize?
- My brother studies at Doon Public School.
- Rohan visits his mother every other week.
- Put your trust in God, misfortune will pass.
- India started to build a nuclear bomb.
- My biggest ambition was to climb Everest.
- Tom goes to the library every Sunday.
Identify the proper noun
- She lives at number 102 Church Street.
- We stayed at a hotel near Central Park.
- Several students boarded with Mrs. Smith.
- I need to talk to Mr. Jones immediately.
- The new BMW is big on safety features.
- April is the fourth month of the year.
- Sirius is the brightest star in the sky.
- Charlie was injured in a car accident.
- My favorite singer is Justin Bieber.
- Several rivers are tributary to the Ganges.
- Bruno was a quiet and obedient little boy.
- She is a professor of History at Oxford University.
- The Rabindranath Temple will reopen in June.
- Microsoft is a world leader in software design.
- The Atlantic Ocean is the saltiest ocean in the world.
- Church Street
- Central Park
- Mrs. Smith
- Mr. Jones
- Justin Bieber
- History, Oxford University
- Rabindranath Temple, June
- Atlantic Ocean