Today we will learn what is a proper noun with the help of 20 Examples of Proper Nouns in English grammar.
What Is a Proper Noun?
A proper noun is a special word that we use for a person, place, or organization. Basically, a proper noun is a special name given to a common noun.
- People – Rahul, Madan, Neha, etc.
- Animals – Tommy, Bruno, Tuffy, etc.
- Places – India, America, Burj Khalifa
The first letter of a proper noun is always capitalized. e.g.- Mohan, Sarita, India, London, Tommy, April, Sunday, Ford, BMW, Google, Yahoo, Burger King, etc.
20 Examples of Proper Nouns
Below are 20 examples of proper nouns in Sentences. proper nouns given in each sentence are marked with blue color.
1. Suman ate all the chocolate.
2. He studies in Delhi University.
3. He was at home last Sunday.
4. India was partitioned in 1947.
5. This is my first visit to Tokyo.
6. I arrived at the end of April.
7. He wrote a story in English.
8. Diwali is a festival of lights.
9. Mr. John is our family doctor.
10. He works at the State Bank of India.
11. The Eiffel Tower is made of metal.
12. My brother owns a Ford sedan.
13. Jupiter has at least sixteen moons.
14. My favorite movie is Harry Potter.
15. The Japanese often eat raw fish.
16. He has studied Chinese for years.
17. The Pacific Ocean is the largest ocean.
18. I have a pet dog named Lucy.
19. Her house is near Rose Garden.
20. The Nile River is 4,130 miles long.
Proper Nouns Exercises with Answers
Given below are 10 sentences examples of proper nouns. In these, you have to identify the proper noun. Their answers are given below.
- Facebook is a famous social media site.
- We saw a movie at Liberty Cinema.
- Many students use Youtube for their studies.
- I’m a big fan of Italian food.
- They visited Melbourne Zoo yesterday.
- They all worship the same God.
- Who is the Prime Minister of Canada?
- We’re going to Disneyland.
- That girl lives on Church Street.
- My favorite wrestler is John Cena.
- Liberty Cinema
- Melbourne Zoo
- Prime Minister, Canada
- Church Street
- John Cena