What Is Simple Present Tense?
The simple present tense (Present indefinite tense) is one of several forms of the present tense in English. This tense is used to describe general truths, customs & habits, unchanging situations, and fixed arrangements.
The simple present tense is simple to form. Just use the base form of the verb: (I play, you play, we play, they play) The 3rd person singular takes an -s/es at the end. (he plays, she plays, Rohan plays).
Subject + 1st Form of Verb + s/es + Object.
- If the subject is “Singular Third Person” (he, she, it, and the person’s name), then ‘s/es’ is used with the verb in the sentences.
- In all other Subject (I, You, They & We) sentences, s/es is not used with the verb.
- I go to college.
- He eats mango.
- We play football.
- Rohan plays tennis.
- She works in a bank.
Subject + do/does + not + V1 + object.
- Does not is used with the singular third person” (he, she, it and the person’s name).
- Do not is used with all other subjects (I, You, They and We).
- Don’t use ‘s/es’ with ‘verb’ in negative sentences.
- I do not go to college.
- He does not eat mango.
- We do not play football.
- Rohan does not play tennis.
- She does not work in a bank.
Do/Does + subject + 1st form of verb + object?
- “Does” is used if the subject is “singular third person” (he, she, it, and the person’s name).
- And if the subject is (I, You, They & We) then “Do” is used.
- Do I go to college?
- Does he eat mango?
- Do we play football?
- Does Rohan play tennis?
- Does she work in a bank?
Simple Present Tense Examples
- I love to play basketball.
- She never goes to school.
- I don’t like popcorn.
- Do you like chocolate?
- When does your school let out?
- She does not want to play.
- My mother works in a bank.
- I work eight hours a day.
- Do you like my new hairstyle?
- The train arrives at 10:30 am.
- I always take my lunch to work.
- It rains a lot in Mumbai.
- Do you know each other?
- He never follows traffic rules.
- I work for a computer company.
- He runs an accountancy firm.
- He owns a restaurant in Scotland.
- This train doesn’t stop at Royston.
- Dogs always bark at strangers.
- Do you take milk in your tea?
- They often picnic at the park.
- Why don’t we go to New York?
- We usually sleep late on Sundays.
- Where do your parents live?
- John knows how to impress a girl.
- My birthday comes in November.
- I know some of her friends.
- He looks like her father.
- I don’t know how to drive a car.
- Cats run faster than dogs.
Simple Present Tense Worksheet
1). I ________ what you mean.
- doesn’t know
- don’t know
2). She never _____ to school.
3). I ______ go to work by train.
- do not
- does not
4). Pigeons _______ fly at night.
5). My parents ______ in Canada.
6). My birthday _______ in March.
7). Rohit _______ in 12th grade.
8). This shop _______ at 10 am.
9). Does she ______ near here?
10). Dogs _____ more at night.
11). My dog ______ at a stranger.
12). We never _____ on Sundays.