What is a material noun?
Material Nouns are the names of materials or substances out of which things are made. Material nouns are uncountable and found in concrete form.
Examples: Gold, Silver, Brass, Alcohol, Acid, Cloth, Air, Brick, Cement, Milk, butter, Petrol, diesel, Oil, Rubber, Salt, Sand, Clay, Coffee, Tea, Cheese, Chemical, Copper, Iron, Rain, Glass, Grass, etc.
Material Noun Examples
- Some coins are made of silver.
- She wore a gold chain around her neck.
- They were working in the cotton fields.
- You need to put some air in the tires.
- He was hurt by a falling brick.
- The petrol in the tank is leaking out.
- We brought home two bags of rice.
- He spread some honey on his bread.
- I left my bicycle out in the rain.
- They make bottles out of glass.
- The cow is eating grass on the field.
- He buys and sells leather goods.
- This window is made of iron.
- The price of oil has risen sharply.
- I drink a glass of milk every morning.
- There is plenty of coal in this area.
- She marked the floor with chalk.
- They melted the ghee in the fire.
- The dress was made of pure wool.
- The child is playing with clay in the yard.
Material Noun Worksheet
Identify Material Nouns
- This drink doesn’t contain any alcohol.
- Copper is a good conductor of heat.
- Take the medicine three times a day.
- He used gelatin to glue the papers together.
- Salt is a substance we use in cooking.
- The cloth trade went into gradual decline.
- He built a model ship out of wood.
- Plastic is used to make all these toys.
- She wears sarees which are made of silk.
- I like to drink coffee in the morning.
Answer: 1- alcohol, 2- copper, 3- medicine, 4- gelatin, 5- salt, 6- cloth, 7- wood, 8- plastic, 9- silk, 10- coffee.